The main difference between a NagiosPlugin and an NagiosAddon is Nagios addons are an extensions to the base-system monitoring on the server. There are two types of Nagios Addons available.
- Core-Addons (Addons provided by the Nagios-Developer Ethan Galstad)
- Community-Addons(Addons provied by the Nagios-Community)
Nagios Core Addons
- NDOUtils allows you to export current and historical data from one or more Nagios instances to a MySQL database. Several community addons use this as one of their data sources.
- NSCA allows you to integrate passive alerts and checks from remote machines and applications with Nagios. Useful for processing security alerts, as well as redundant and distributed Nagios setups.
- NRPE allows you to remotely execute Nagios plugins on other Linux/Unix machines. This allows you to monitor remote machine metrics (disk usage, CPU load, etc.). NRPE can also communicate with some of the Windows agent addons, so you can execute scripts and check metrics on remote Windows machines as well.
Nagios Community Addons
- PHP based web UI for configuring Nagios 3.x configurations (imports Nagios 2.x configurations as well).
- PHP based web-frontend to your Nagios configuration. Supports 2.x and imports 1.x configs.
- NagiosQL is a professional, web based administration tool for Nagios 2.x/3.x. It helps you to easy build complex configurations with all options, manage and use them. NagiosQL has a built-in multi domain support to configure several Nagios configurations with a single frontend.
- PHP based web-tool that differs from similar tools by offering enterprise-class features like templates, dependencies and the ability to configure a large-scale, distributed Nagios server topology.
Data Aquisition Tools
- Generic check system with its own Windows/Linux/UNIX agents that replaces NRPE, NSClient and check_snmp, automatically creates Nagios configuration, autodetects new services and is able to monitor > 15.000 checks per minute.
- Perl API suite to integrate Nagios 3.0 hoststatus and servicestatus data into external applications such as intranets, etc.
Performance data graphing
- NagiosGrapher is an Open-Source tool which extends the monitoring software Nagios by automatically graphing performance data and embedding links to it into the Nagios web interface.
- PNP4Nagios (aka PNP) is an open-source (GPL) addon for nagios that allows you to graph Nagios performance data (monitoring metrics) using RRDTool.
- c2n.cgi (c2n) is a filter/wrapper for the frontend of Cacti to include it in Nagios. It includes the Cacti interface in the right frame of the Nagios web interface. It filters out any possiblity to switch from one host to another using cacti menus. Therefore the authentication system of Nagios will take place and the authentication system of Cacti is unused. It is not possible with a native Cacti to set it up in a distributed manner. It is also not possible to have several Cacti installations with one interface. c2n.cgi can handle multiple installations of Cacti with seperate databases. All performance data can be reached via the approriate link (action or notes URL) within the host object.
- NagVis is an addon for the visualization of the monitoring results
- Birdseye provides a clear overview of problems with hosts and services.
- NETWAYSPortal for Nagios
- The NETWAYSPortal is a set of Typo3 extensions, especially developed to offer a centralized view of complex, large-scale Nagios-monitoring environments. It supports the use of multiple instances and multiple ndo databases.
Event handling (Traps, Logs and Emails)
- EventDB is developed from a trap interface for nagios. The Difference is that we can handle any other log source like syslog, traps, raw input and s.o.
- NagTrap is a frontend written in PHP for Nagios. It serves to the administration and administration of empfanger SNMP Traps via SNMPTT.
- mail2evetdb is a utility written to enhence the EventDB for email handling. It accepts internet mail (text), MIME and Multipart MIME messages and has an interface for user written filters.
Notification and Escalation
- NoMa the 'NETWAYS Notification Manager' is an easily extensible web-based tool for contact and notification management. NoMa offers the possibility to administer notifications, contacts, contactgroups, escalations and holidays via web browser.
Addons for Windows
- NSClient++ is a Windows agent for Nagios that allows you to monitor CPU load, disk usage, process state, and more on Windows servers and workstations.
- Nagios Event Log
- The Nagios Event Log agent allows you to monitor Windows event log messages with Nagios.
Business Views and SLA
- Business Process Addon
- The Nagios Business Process View and Nagios Business Impact Analysis addons allow you to visualize Nagios status information as it applies to your business processes and to simulate outages and see their effects on your business applications.
- The lack of Service Level Reporting in Nagios should be fixed with this extension. On basis of event handler\'s logs in a database are generated and afterwards correlated by a reporting script.
Addons for JAVA
- Java Nagios Remote Plugin Executor
- The Java Nagios Remote Plugin Executor addons provide a solution to easily create and execute Nagios JAVA plugins. JNRPE is compatible with check_nrpe and can be used to execute both the old native Nagios plugins and the new Java Nagios plugins. It comes bundled with some useful java plugin to perform various checks (JMX, database, filesystem, ...)